If you've switched to Wingspan in the middle of the tax year or have made payments to contractors outside of Wingspan, you can optionally upload any missing payments that you would like to include in your 1099-NEC amount calculations.
Consider batch uploading if:
- You migrated to Wingspan in the middle of the year and need to consolidate records.
- You've made payments to contractors through platforms other than Wingspan.
- You are using Wingspan primarily for 1099 form filing.
Batch imports can be executed multiple times until the January 25th filing deadline. Note that imported payments will be visible to your 1099 recipients.
Before importing off-platform payments, ensure the following:
- Off-platform Recipients: All recipients who are expected to receive a 1099 must be uploaded to Wingspan.
- Administrator Privileges: Remember, only administrators are authorized to batch import off platform payments
To upload payments made off-platform, you will need to provide a spreadsheet (CSV or Excel) that includes the following columns. You can download a template containing all of your recipients by clicking Download template.
|Email or external collaborator ID
|Wingspan will use this ID to identify the collaborator associated with the payment
|The payment amount in USD. For example $100 or -$50. This amount can represent the total sum of
|Line Item Title
|The description of the payment that will appear be visible to your recipients. If you do not have a line item title, you should include other identifying data like an invoice number.
|Will be used to determine whether the payment should be included in the 1099-NEC calculations. For example, 2022-06-01.
|Whether the payment is reimbursable. True or False
|Line Item Detail
|Additional payment description visible to recipients.
|Due date of the payment (for reference, not used). For example, 2022-06-01
Imported payments will appear as payables marked “paid off-platform” and will be visible to your collaborators.
Itemized vs. summary payments
You can choose to upload off-platform payments in two ways:
- Itemized: multiple rows for each collaborator representing itemized line items (recommended)
- Summary: one row for each collaborator representing the sum of all payments made outside Wingspan. For the 'Pay Date' please choose any one date in 2023. For example, 2023-01-01.
Wingspan recommends providing itemized payments as they enable 1099 recipients to better understand what was included on their 1099-NEC tax form.
Once the upload is complete, your off-platform payments will be visible in Wingspan to you and the recipient and will appear as "paid outside Wingspan." To include these payments in the 1099 calculations, you will need to generate the 1099 amounts & statuses following the guide.
Updated about 2 months ago