A 1099-NEC form reports payments made to contractors during the year. If you have paid a contractor over $600 within a calendar year, filing a 1099-NEC form with the IRS becomes mandatory. The form assists the IRS and the contractor in calculating the correct tax obligations.
Wingspan automatically drafts forms for each recipient, based on the payments you've made through Wingspan.
If you made payments to contractors outside of Wingspan, you can add these by importing a spreadsheet via the 1099-NEC tool. Guidance through this step will be provided.
- Efficiency: Automatically generate and e-file 1099s, saving you hours of frustration.
- Accuracy: Taxpayer Identification Numbers are verified automatically to minimize errors and penalties.
- Recipient Experience: Recipients can access and manage their tax forms electronically. Wingspan helps support them by answering questions.
- Data Integrity: All payment and identity data are sourced directly from your Wingspan account.
- Centralized Corrections: Avoid emails back-and-forth by handling all corrections inside of Wingspan.
- November 27th, 2023: Wingspan begins reaching out to your recipients to confirm their W-9 information and 1099 delivery preferences. You will be able to batch upload off-platform recipients.
- January 8th, 2024: In 2024, you will be able to import off-platform payments, calculate 1099 statuses and amounts.
- January 20, 2024: File your tax forms via Wingspan by this date to meet the IRS deadline. (Recommended)
- January 25, 2024: Final date to e-file 1099 forms using Wingspan.
- Notify your recipients about upcoming tax-related communications from Wingspan.
- Publish a support article outlining the tax timeline and your partnership with Wingspan.
- Check forms marked 'Needs Action' and contact recipients for missing information.
- Upload any payments made outside of Wingspan.
- Confirm State Tax Registration numbers where applicable.
- Edit drafts of 1099-NEC forms, if necessary.
- Complete any missing identity information.
- E-file the forms no later than January 25 to ensure delivery by January 31.
By following this guide, you will have a streamlined 1099-NEC filing process, ensuring compliance with tax regulations and providing a seamless experience for your recipients.
- Communication Timeline & Guide outlines the communication Wingspan recommends you send to your 1099 recipients and the communication Wingspan will send.
- Frequently Asked Questions Template lists common questions from recipients you can publish in your own help documentation.
- Recipient Experience Walkthrough overviews the 1099 experience for your recipients including confirming their tax information and receiving 1099 forms.
- Support Ownership describes the types of questions that Wingspan support can handle, and what will need to be escalated to your team.
- Limitations of 1099-NEC Filing Support at Wingspan documents the limitations of Wingspan's 1099 filing experience.
- Setup 1099 Filing & Invite Recipients describes how to setup 1099 filing in Wingspan.
- Understanding 1099 Statuses overviews the possible statuses for 1099 forms.
- Recipient Information Determination Logic for 1099 Forms outlines the logic Wingspan uses to determine what information will appear on the Form 1099.
- Batch Uploading Recipients into Wingspan describes how to upload new recipients to Wingspan to confirm their tax information so they can receive a 1099.
- Team Permissions for 1099 Management outlines how to manage the permissions for your team in Wingspan.
- Batch Uploading Off-platform Payments describes how to upload payments made outside of Wingspan to be included in your 1099 calculations.
- Generating 1099 Amounts & Statuses documents how to generate 1099s after you've imported all recipients and payments.
- Updating Tax Forms covers how to update 1099s after the amounts and statuses are generated.
- File 1099-NEC forms outlines how you can submit tax forms to the IRS, and how they are delivered to your recipients.
- Correct Tax Forms describes the process for corrections in Wingspan.
- Adding Individual Recipients walks through how to add individual recipients to Wingspan.
Updated about 1 month ago